Leftover Roast Soup

Sure, it doesn't sound very sexy- but when you spend a lot of money on a roast, you don't want it to go to waste.  I started with this- which I got on sale at Costco:

 You will need:
3 cups sliced beef or pork or chicken
2 1/2 cups onions- diced
2 cups carrots, sliced
2 cups celery, diced
2 cups petite sirah
1 package dark gravy (16 oz)- I use Imagine, Wild Mushroom Gravy
10 oz mushrooms (I used wild mushrooms)
8 oz pearl onions
I don't add any salt or spices- it just doesn't need it, as far as I am concerned, but that doesn't mean you would not want to add some

We had that roast, pictured above, for dinner last night, and today I had about 3 cups of sliced roast, and bacon filling, left over.  So, I diced 2 1/2 cups onion, 2 carrots (large ones- came to 2 cups thinly sliced carrots), and a bunch of celery (2 cups, diced), as well as 8 oz of pearl onions, whole- and I sauteed all that in a pan with 3 TBS butter- just until the veggies were lightly caramelized.

Then I added 2 cups of petite sirah, and a package of Imagine wild mushroom organic gravy, and the sliced meat.  I cooked the mixture for about 40 minutes, and then I added a package of  frozen wild mushrooms and asparagus, and cooked the soup until it was hot again.  It's delicious!  It's very meaty, and has lots of flavors, which all meld together perfectly.  You can hardly taste the wine- but it's there, under the surface, giving depth and complexity to the meaty flavors.

Here's my mirepoix as it cooks- but with sliced carrots, for texture and visual interest:


Pearl onions from Trader Joes were added to the mirepoix and cooked till lightly caramelized:
At the very end I added the wild mushrooms:
And the soup looked like this (and I wish I could give you a taste, so you could see how delicious it is for yourself):
I'm serving it with a glass of the petite sirah I put in the soup.  Mmmmmmm




Comments