Rice Balls, Veggies and Fruit- and Cake!

So I'm still using my pink sushi rice.  I used a packet of Costco organic beets (precooked) and I put all the juice in some sushi rice to get that pretty pink color.  I have some powdered beet I use for color as well, but why waste beet juice?  The rice was rolled in to balls, and put in the corners, and covered with  a carrot circle that I had cut a flower out of- you can see one of the carrot flowers in the center of the bento on the left.  Also in this compartment, white carrot matchsticks, olives, and carrot slices.  Just blueberries and raspberries in the compartment on the right.  I'm also taking a slice of homemade pineapple upside down cake, for which I am including the recipe.

This is a super easy recipe, and I made it yesterday, and left it in a cooling oven, so it's very firm.  I sliced it up and put it in baggies for our lunches.

All you need for this is 1 box of yellow or white cake mix (I use Naturally Nora Organic Mix), a can of pineapple slices, maraschino cherries, the saved juice from the can of pineapple, butter (1/4 cup), and brown sugar (1 cup) packed.

Mix cake mix but instead of whatever liquid is called for, use the pineapple liquid, and then add the other, recipe liquid, to make the amount called for on the box.  In my case, I added about 1/4 cup of milk to the pineapple juice to make a total of 1 cup.  Arrange fruit in bottom of pan-  13 by 9, or 12 by 12 pan- I used 12 by 12.  pour melted butter over fruit.  Sprinkle entire pan with 1 cup of brown sugar.  Then simply pour cake mix over fruit and sugar, and bake at 350 until the cake is a golden brown.  Then, because I wanted a more solid cake, I turned the heat off and let the cake cool in the oven for about 8 hours.  You COULD eat the cake immediately, and that would be nice too :-)  I find it easier to unmold if you let it sit longer.  Make sure to go around the sides with a think spatula, freeing the cake from the sides of the pan.  Then invert onto a large plate.

Comments