Raisin compote

While we were out at a little bistro this weekend we tried an amazing raisin compote that was served with some manchego cheese. I've tried to recreate it, and I'm not quite there- but this was pretty good. I combined:
1/4 cup cointreau
1/4 cup apricot preserve (was pretty liquidy (about the consistency of a smoothy)- which is why it wasn't all eaten)
1 cup organic rasins
1/3 cup currants
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbs black currant balsamic vinegar (or any flavorful vinegar)
3 Tbs mostarda de frutta fig- with balsamic vinegar
2 tbs honey
4 heaping tbs sugar

combine all ingredients in sauce pan and cook over low heat, stirring often. When raisins plump and mixture thickens, it's done. I am going to try adding orange juice and orange peel, or maybe lemon peel, next time. I think some candied fruit would be an excellent addition as well.

Comments