This Vivo Bento box is packed with some sandwiches on wheat bread lavosh bread I purchased at Trader Joes. I think any kind of flat bread would do. I have some hummus cups which I got at Costco- each cup holds 2 oz of hummus, and in an "emergency" I can throw them in a lunch bag with some crackers and call it lunch. Also, the individual cups mean my kids don't eat it all up before I need it. The down side of individual cups is that they aren't very green.

But anyway, I was looking at the cups of hummus, and right next to them was some Trader Joes Cilantro Yogurt dip, and I began to wonder if those two things would go great together.

So I spread 2 oz of hummus on some lavosh bread, and then spread 1/4 cup of Trader Joes cilantro yogurt dip on top of that. Then I sprinkled the bread with 1/3 cup of very finely sliced celery hearts, and topped it with romaine lettuce (ribs removed). I left a good 3 " at the "top" of the bread uncovered, so it would seal the sandwich when I rolled the bread up. Make sure to role the sandwich tightly- just as if you were rolling sushi. My kids LOVED this lunch. It's very fresh tasting, and it's also healthy and filling. The carrots were cut with my steal vegetable garnishing tool, and are just lying on top to add some color.

In the light green compartment, to compliment the sandwiches, I sent couscous (I bought in a big tub at Costco), cucumber salad (see recipe at the bottom of this post, and heirloom tomatoes.

Cucumber salad:

1 large hot house cucumber
1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar
3 Tbs sugar
salt
pepper

Mix sugar and vinegar in microwave until sugar dissolves, add a pinch of salt. Finely slice the skinned cucumber. Pour the sugar mixture over the cucumber, and mix, then add paper to taste. Chill the salad at least over night. Drain spoonfuls before putting in lunchbox.

(Dill or mint can be added to vary the taste of this salad, and shredded carrot, or very fine slices of onion are also nice additions)

Comments